+90 212 359 6498
Ph.D., Linguistics and Modern English Language, Lancaster University, England, 2000.
M.A., English Language Teaching, Çukurova University, Turkey, 1994.
B.A., English Language Teaching, Çukurova University, Turkey, 1991.
1. Marti, L. (2016). Inter-/Cross-cultural Comparison: The Case of German and Turkish. In M. Aicher-Jakob and L. Marti (Eds.), Bildung, Dailog, Kultur: Migration und
Interkulturalitaet als paedagogische und fachdidaktische Aufgabe in der Lehrerbildung (pp.171-184). Baltmannsweiler, Germany: Scheider Verlag Hohengehren.
2. Aicher-Jakob, M. and Marti, L. (Eds.). (2016). Bildung, Dailog, Kultur: Migration und Interkulturalitaet als paedagogische und fachdidaktische Aufgabe in der Lehrerbildung. Baltmannsweiler, Germany: Scheider Verlag Hohengehren. ISBN: 9783834016348
3. Bayyurt, Y and Martı, L. (2016). Cross-linguistic effects in the use of suggestion formulas by L2 Turkish learners. In A. Gürel (eds.) Second Language Acquisition of Turkish (pp. 195-220). Amsterdam: John Benjamins. ISBN: 978 90 272 5322 4
4. Çandarlı, D; Bayyurt, Y. and Marti, L. (2015). Authorial presence in L1 and L2 novice academic writing: Cross-linguistic and cross-cultural perspectives, Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 20, 192-202.
5. Bağ, E., Martı, L. and Y. Bayyurt (2015). Gender and classroom interaction: Examining a female and male teacher’s moves directed towards female and male students in two EFL classrooms in Turkey. Bogazici University Journal of Education, 31(1), 59-80.
6. Marti, L. (2015). Konuşma Analizi. Seggie, F.N. ve Bayyurt, Y. (eds). Nitel Araştırma: Yöntem, Teknik, Analiz ve Yaklaşımları, (pp. 267-278). Ankara: Anı
7. Akar, D. and Marti, L. (2015). Söylem Çözümlemesi. Seggie, F.N. ve Bayyurt, Y. (eds). Nitel Araştırma: Yöntem, Teknik, Analiz ve Yaklaşımları, (pp. 242-252). Ankara: Anı Yayınları.
8. Culpeper, J., Schauer, G. Marti, L. Mei, M and M. Nevala (2014). Impoliteness and emotions in a cross-cultural perspective. In A. Langlotz and A. Soltysik Monnet (Eds.), SPELL: Swiss Papers in English Language and Literature, 30, (pp. 67-88). Tübingen: Narr Verlag.
9. Martı, L. ve Abaylı, Z.S. (2014). Türkçe ve çeşitli dillerde yanlış anla(şıl)malar: Edimbilimsel bir inceleme (pp. 196-205). 27. Ulusal Dilbilim Kurultayı Bildirileri (Proceedings of the 27. National Linguistics Conference). Ankara: Hacettepe University.
10. Bikmen, A. and Marti, L. (2013). A study of complaint speech acts in Turkish learners of English (Bu ne saygısızlık? İngilizce öğrenen Türklerin şikayet söz eylemi üzerine bir çalışma). Education and Science (Eğitim ve Bilim), 38(170), 253-265. http://egitimvebilim.ted.org.tr/index.php/EB/article/view/18/559
11. Marti, L. (2012). Tangential floor in a classroom setting. System, 40(3) 398-406. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2012.07.006
12. Bayyurt, Yasemin and Marti, Leyla. (2012). The Use of Suggestion Formulas by Non-Native Speakers of English in an EFL Context (pp.157-181). In Maria Dolores
Garcia Pastor (ed.). Teaching English as a Foreign Language: Proposals for the Language Classroom. Periferic Edicions (Spain).
13. Culpeper, Jonathan; Marti, Leyla; Mei, Meilian; Nevala, Minna and Gila Schauer (2010). Cross-cultural variation in the perception of impoliteness: A study of impoliteness events reported by students in England, China, Finland, Germany and Turkey. Intercultural Pragmatics, 7(4), 597-624.
14. Martı, L. (2009). Formulaic expressions and their function for learners of Turkish (Türkçe Öğreneneler açısından Kalıp Sözler ve İşlevleri) (pp.105-114). In Derya Yaylı and
15. Yasemin Bayyurt (eds). Yabancılara Türkçe Öğretimi: Politika, Yöntem ve Beceriler. Ankara: AnıYayıncılık.
16. Roberts, L., Gürel, A., & Tatar, S., & Martı, L. (Eds.) (2007). EUROSLA Yearbook, Vol. 7. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company. ISBN: 978 90 272 54573
17. Marti, L. (2007). Politeness in Turkish: A Cross-Cultural Comparison (Chapter Three). In Pilar Garcés-Conejos Blitvich, Manuel Padilla Cruz, Reyes Gómez Morón y L Fernández Amaya, (eds). Studies in Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics (pp. 56-75). Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
(ISBN: 9781847182098) http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Studies-in-Intercultural--Cognitive-and-Soci...
18. Marti, L. (2006). Indirectness and politeness in Turkish-German bilingual and Turkish monolingual requests. Journal of Pragmatics, 38, 1836-1869. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/03782166
19. Martı, L. (2000). Cross-cultural speech act realisation: The case of requests in the Turkish speech of Turkish monolingual and Turkish-German bilingual speakers
(pp. 383-391). In A. Göksel and C. Kerslake (eds). Studies on Turkish Linguistics and Turkic Languages: Proceedings in The Ninth International Conference on Turkish
Linguistics, Oxford, 12-14 August 1998. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz.
20. Marti, L. (2000). Combining data collection methods. In S. Kyratzis and C. Pinto Da Silva (eds.). Data in Applied Linguistics, Lancaster: Department of Linguistics and Modern English Language. Lancaster University. ISBN: 1 86220 1188
21. Cabaroğlu, N. and Martı, L.M. (1995). Some suggested strategies for teaching and learning vocabulary (pp. 29-36). ‘Where are we in English Teaching’, İnönü University 1. Local Teaching Conference, Malatya.
22. İnce, G.; Martı, L.M.; Cabaroğlu, N. and F. Artok (1994). ‘Çukurova Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Bölüm Öğrencilerinin Vizeler Öncesindeki Kaygı Düzeylerinin Başarılarına Etkisi.’ (pp. 1017-1021). Eğitim Bilimleri Kongresi (Kuram-Uygulama-Araştırma), Çukurova Üniversitesi, Adana.
Talks / Presentations:
1. Marti, L. (9 December 2016). “Inter-/Cross Cultural Communication: Turkish and German.” Conference of the Project Partners in Ludwigsburg. 2016 Migration und Interkulturalität als pädagogische und fachdidaktische Aufgabe/ Migration and Intercultural Competence as Pedagogical and Methodological Responsibilities. Ludwigsburg, Germany.
2. Marti, L. (7-11 November 2016) Erasmus staff exchange. Talks on Inter-/Cross-Cultural Communication and The Turkish Education System, University of Strasbourg,
Department of Educational Science, Strasbourg, France.
3. Yılmaz, S.; Bayyurt, Y. and Martı, L. (1 July 2016) “Nativeness vs. Expertise?: A Contrastive Corpus-based Analysis of Reporting Verbs in Research Papers on Foreign
Language Education.” Corpora and Discourse International Conference: The SiBol Group (30 June-2nd July 2016). Pontignano, Siena, Italy.
4. Yılmaz, S.; Bayyurt, Y. and Martı, L. (31 October 2015) “A contrastive corpus‐based analysis of reporting verbs in research articles on foreign language education by native and Turkish nonnative writers of English” SLRF 2015: 34th Second Language Research Forum: Application, Context, and Language Use) (29-31 October 2015), Georgia State University, Atlanta, USA.
5. Bayyurt, Y. and Martı, L. (3 July 2015) “Impoliteness in L2 Turkish suggestion formulas in a study abroad context” 9th International Conference of Im/Politeness)
(1-3 July) 2015. Athens, Greece.
6. Bayyurt, Y. and Martı, L. (September 2014) “The Use of Suggestion Formulas by L2 Turkish Learners” 17th International Conference on Turkish Linguistics (ICTL’17) (3-5
September 2014). Rouen, France.
7. Marti, L. and Abaylı, S.Z. (5 May 2013) “Türkçe ve Çeşitli Dillerde Yanlış Anla(şıl)malar: Edimbilimsel bir İnceleme” 27. Ulusal Dilbilim Kurultayı (27th National Linguistics
Conference), Antalya, Turkey.
8. Çandarlı, D; Bayyurt, Y. and Marti, L. (4 May 2013) “Akademik metinlerde yazar-okuyucu etkileşimi” 27. Ulusal Dilbilim Kurultayı (27th National Linguistics Conference),
9. Çandarlı, D; Marti, L. and Bayyurt, Y. (16 March 2013) “A corpus-based study of authorial presence in Turkish students’ academic writing” 5th International Conference On Corpus Linguistics (CILC 2013), Alicante, Spain.
10. Marti, L. And Bikmen, A. (30 August 2012) “Complaints made to authority figures, friends and strangers” Linguistic Impoliteness and Rudeness (LIAR) III: Experimental
and Empirical Approaches to Politeness and Impoliteness), Urbana-Champaign, USA.
11. Marti, L. (13 July 2012) 'Cross-cultural differences in speech act production: The Case of Turkish EFL student.' Culture in Language: Language in Media,Variation in Research Conference, Linguistisches Kolloquium, English Linguistics Department, Chemnitz Technical University, Germany.
12. Marti, L (25 May 2012). Openings and Closings in E-mail Messages of ELF Students. ELF5 The Fifth International Conference of English as a Lingua Franca, May 24-26, 2012, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey.
13. Marti, L (21 November 2011). Indirectness and politeness in Turkish-German bilingual and Turkish monolingual requests. Interdisziplinäres Linguistisches Kolloquium Augsburg’ (ILKA), Augsburg, Germany.
14. Marti, L (19-23 September 2011) Erasmus staff exchange. Talks on Sociolinguistics, Tourism English and Metadiscourse, University of Lleida, Department of English and Linguistics, Lleida, Spain.
15. Marti, L (13 July 2011) Politeness markers, modals and author positioning in e-mail exchanges of EFL students. Sixth International Symposium on Politeness: Corpus
Approaches, 11-13 July 2011, METU, Ankara, Turkey.
16. Marti, L and Eliçin, C. (7 July 2011) Requests in E-mails of 1st year Turkish ELT students 12th International Pragmatics Conference, 3-8 July 2011, Manchester, England.
17. Marti L. ve Bayyurt, Y (1 July 2010) Politeness in E-mail Exchanges: A Case in Turkey. 5th International Symposium on Politeness (“Politeness and impoliteness, on- and offline”), 30 June - 2 July 2010, Basel, Switzerland.
18. Bağ, E.; Bayyurt, Y. and L. Marti (16 June 2010) Gender and Classroom Interaction: An Analysis of How a Female and a Male Teacher in Two EFL Classrooms in Turkey Give Their Attention to Students.14th World Congress of World Council of Comparative Education Societies(WCCES). 14-18 June 2010, Istanbul.
19. Bağ, E.; Bayyurt, Y. and L. Marti (10 November 2009). Gender and Classroom Interaction: Examining a Female Teacher’s Attention in an EFL Classroom in Turkey.
The Fourth Mediterranean Society of Comparative Education (MESCE) Conference (November 8-10, 2009), Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Rabat, Morocco.
Marti L. ve Bayyurt, Y. (30 June 2009) Advise-Acts by Turkish EFL Students. The 2009 International Conference of The Linguistic Politeness Research Group:
Linguistic Impoliteness and Rudeness II (LIAR II), Lancaster, England.
20. Jonathan Culpeper, Gila Schauer, Leyla Martı and Meilian Mei (July 2-4, 2008) The Cross-cultural Variation of Impoliteness: A Study of Face-attack in Impoliteness
Events Reported by Students in China, Britain, Germany and Turkey. 4th International Symposium on Politeness, Budapest, Hungary.
21. Marti, L. (16 April 2008) Pragmatics and English Language Teaching. Lecture at Istanbul Koleji, Istanbul.
22. Marti, L. (1 December 2007) Difficulty in Translation? Formulaic Expressions in Turkish. Translation Workshop, Linguistisches Kolloquium, English Linguistics Department, Chemnitz Technical University, Germany.
23. Marti, L. (8-13 July 2007). Indirectness in Requests: The Case of Turkish-German Bilinguals in Highschool. 10th International Pragmatics Conference, Göteborg, Sweden.
24. Marti, L. (12-15 January 2007). Factors Influential in Perceived Politeness of Turkish Request. 5th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities,
25. Marti, L. (30 November 2006) Multiple Conversational Floors in Classroom Interaction, Linguistisches Kolloquium, English Linguistics Department, Chemnitz Technical
26. arti, L. (23 November-4 December 2006). Politeness and Indirectness. Erasmus/Socrates staff mobility exchange (guest speaker), English Linguistics Department, Chemnitz Technical University, Germany (http://ell.phil.tu-chemnitz.de/pragmatics/pragmatics.html)
27. Marti, L. (10-15 July 2005). Participant Orientation and Indirectness: Referential Expressions in Turkish Requests. 9th International Pragmatics Conference, Riva del Garda, Italy.
28. Martı, L. (26-28 May 2004). Politeness in Turkish: a cross-cultural comparison. The Second Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics (EPICS II), Seville, Spain.
29. Martı, L. (12-14 August 1998). Cross-cultural speech act realisation: The case of requests in the Turkish speech of Turkish monolingual and Turkish-German bilingual speakers. The Ninth International Conference on Turkish Linguistics. Oxford.
30. Marti, L. (17 March 1997). Combining data collection methods. Students’ Research Forum. Lancaster University.
31. Cabaroğlu, N. and Martı, L. M. (27-28 April 1995). Some suggested strategies for teaching and learning vocabulary (pp. 29-36). ‘Where are we in English Teaching’, İnönü University 1. Local Teaching Conference, Malatya.
32. İnce, G.; Martı, L.M.; Cabaroğlu, N. And F. Artok (28-30 Nisan 1994). ‘Çukurova Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Bölüm Öğrencilerinin Vizeler Öncesindeki Kaygı
Düzeylerinin Başarılarına Etkisi.’ (pp. 1017-1021). Eğitim Bilimleri Kongresi (Kuram-Uygulama-Araştırma), Çukurova Üniversitesi, Adana.
33. Ünal [Cabaroğlu], N. and Martı, L.M. (12-13 April 1993). ‘The Use of Authentic Materials in ESP.’ English Teaching Conference, University of Çukurova-USIS, Adana.
2013-2016 Project: Migration and Interculturality as a Task: Pedagogy and Teaching Methodology „Migration und Interkulturalität als pädagogische und fachdidaktische Aufgabe“ (Baden-Württemberg Stiftung) Boğaziçi University-Pädagogischen Hochschule Ludwigsburg
2010-2013 Boğaziçi University Scientific Projects Commission (BAPBilimsel Araştırma Projesi) A Corpus-based Meta-Pragmatic Analysis of Academic Writing in an EFL Context. (Project Code: 5691). Researcher in the Project (Principal Investigator: Yasemin Bayyurt).
March 2008 -2011 Boğaziçi University Scientific Projects Commission (BAPBilimsel Araştırma Projesi) Topic: Pragmatic analysis of classroom interaction and participation structure in the foreign language classroom. Yabancı Dil Dersinde Sınıf İçi İletişim Ve Katılım Şekillerine Edimbilimsel Bir Bakış) Leyla Martı (Principal Investigator), Yasemin Bayyurt
March 2004-February 2007 - Boğaziçi University Scientific Projects Commission (BAPBilimsel Araştırma Projesi) Topic: Pragmatic Transfer in the Speech of Turkish-German and Turkish-English Bilinguals- Türkçe-Almanca ve Türkçe-İngilizce ikidillilerde edimbilimsel transfer) Leyla Martı (Principal Investigator), Yasemin Bayyurt
July 2003-May 2007 Boğaziçi Üniversitesi Yaşamboyu Eğitim Merkezi (BÜYEM)- DynEd Projesi (bilgisayar bazlı İngilizce öğretimi - computer-based English-language training courseware), academic coordinator
Cross-Cultural Communication and Language Education (M.A)
Research Methods in TEFL
Advanced English Grammar
Reading and Study Skills
Introduction to Linguistics
Turkish Phonology and Morphology
1. Yılmaz, Selahattin (2016) A Corpus-based Investigation of the Effect of Nativeness and Expertise on Reporting Practices in Academic Writing. Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis. (coadvisor)
2. Abaylı, Zeynep Sena (2016) Decomposability And Transparency: A Corpus-Based Analysis of the Use of Phrasal Verbs in Elf Interactions. Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis. (co-advisor)
3. Çandarlı, Duygu (2013) Writer Visibility and Reader Engagement in University Students' Argumentative Essays. Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis. (co-advisor)
4. Eliçin, Canan (2011) The Strategies in Requests and Apologıes of Turkish FLED Students: A Comparison of Electronic Maıls and DCT Data. Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis.
5. Bikmen, Ahmet (2011) A Descriptive Study on the Performance of Complaints by Turkish University Students in an EFL Context. Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis.
6. Bağ, Ebru (2009) Gender and Classroom Interaction: An Analysis of How a Female and a Male Teacher in Two EFL Classrooms in Turkey Give Their Attention to Students. Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis. (co-advisor)
Thesis Jury Membership
1. Derince, Mine (2016) An Odyssey of Discovery: Critical Lıteracy in an English Preparatory Class. Boğaziçi University, Ph.D..Thesis Advisor Yasemin Bayyurt.
2. Ersin, Pınar (2015). A Case Study of a Turkish English Learner in an EFL setting: Inverstment, Imagined Community, and Identity. Boğaziçi University, Ph.D..Thesis Advisor Yasemin Bayyurt.
3. işancı, Sinan (2014) Factors Influencing Turkish EFL Learners’ Collocation Production. Yeditepe University, M.A. Thesis Advisor Erkan Karabacak.
4. Erdoğan Şahin, Nurhan (2013) Women Teachers’ Perceptions of their Identities Inside and Outside the School. M.A Thesis, Eduacational Sciences Advisor: Fatma Gök
5. Merdin, Emine (2013) Refusing Invitations Via Email: Strategy Use in Turkish and American-English Refusals. Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis Advisor Yasemin Bayyurt.
6. İkizoğlu, Didem (2010) Direct Reported Speech: Positioning and Relational Identity Work, Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis Advisor Didar Akar
7. Can, Ayşegül (2009) “Impoliteness in Computer Mediated Communication” Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis Advisor Didar Akar
8. Nişancı, Sinan (2014) Factors Influencing Turkish EFL Learners’ Collocation Production. Yeditepe University, M.A.Thesis Advisor Erkan Karabacak.
9. Sevingil, Eray (2009). “Computer-Mediated Communication Acts in Non-Native English Speakers‟ Electronic Mail Exchanges.” Boğaziçi University, M.A.Thesis Advisor Yasemin Bayyurt
10. Telçeker, Hürmüz (2006). The Effects of Written and Oral Teacher Feedback on Preintermediate Student Revisions in an EFL Process-oriented Writing Class. MA Thesis in TEFL, Boğaziçi University. Advisor Sumru Akcan.
European Second Language Association (Eurosla), 2006-
Pragmatics and Stylistics Research Group, Department of Linguistics, Lancaster, 1998-
IprA (International Pragmatics Association), 2004-
Designes, Awards and Patents :
Ph.D. scholarship/YÖK/October 1995-September 1999
USIS Scholarship/Summer Graduate Courses/Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, U.S.A./June 8-August 8, 1992
Boğaziçi University, Faculty of Education, Faculty Council (Fakülte Kurulu), Assistant Professor Representative, 2005-2008
Departmental Erasmus Coordinator, 2008-
Boğaziçi University, Exchange Committee (Member), 2015-